This is my favorite chicken curry recipe, bar none.
I posted this to a foodie blog which shall remain nameless a few years back and got flak from someone who INSISTED it was not “authentic”.
Well given that I got this recipe from a life-long Hyderabadi, I wasn’t inclined to put much store in those opinions. Allegedly what PROVED this could not be Authentic Indian Cuisine was that this dish is supposedly only made from leftover Tandoori Chicken.
Well. SOME Murgh Makhani is made from leftover Tandoori Chicken. But MINE isn’t.
Oh and by the way – BARBARIAN! REMEMBER? I cooks as I likes!
Murgh Makhani – Indian Butter Chicken
Spicy, but not hot (unless you make it that way on purpose) chicken curry with a cream-based gravy.
- ½ c unflavored yogurt, preferably organic or home made
- 1 tsp ground red chili (NOT American style chili powder)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- 1 ½ tsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 4 – 6 Roma style tomatoes, diced, or 16 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 med onions, sliced fairly thinly
- 2 bell peppers, preferably red, yellow, and/or orange but green will do, sliced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 T butter (½ stick)
- 2 T chopped fresh coriander
- ¼ c heavy whipping cream
- Mix the dry spices into the yoghurt. Add the ginger, garlic, and tomato and mix well.
- Cut chicken into reasonable size pieces, about 1” – 1.5″. Try to make the pieces about even in size so they’ll all cook at about the same rate. Add the chicken pieces to the yoghurt (hopefully you used a large enough bowl to start with) and let marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Melt the butter in a large wok or deep skillet and fry the onion and pepper slices until the onion slices are just beginning to turn translucent.
- Add the chicken and its marinade and cook, stirring, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and the chopped coriander and heat to just before the boiling point, stirring occasionally.
- Serve garnished with sprigs of fresh coriander
Tags: chicken curry, Indian butter chicken, butter chicken, curry, Indian food, Indian